Kickstarter Woes

I’d like to say a few things about Kickstarter.  So many independents are using Kickstarter as a way to not only fund a project but also to establish their company.  I personally don’t understand how they can live like this, such uncertainty would drive me crazy.  There does seem to be a lot of great project getting off the ground using Kickstarter but for me I've hit the wall with this.

As we saw with Double Fine  just because a project gets funded doesn't mean it will get produced.  They ran a second campaign asking for more money to cover additional costs.  I personally have funded four projects, Colossal Kaiju Combat, Stonehearth, Armikrog, and Massive Chalice.  Some have asked for
more money and some have even been involved in lawsuits over their product.  Just like a normally funded game budgets run out and milestones drag on longer.  Regardless of the reasons I have yet to ever get a product through Kickstarter and this has left me feeling very burned.  I don't know if I'll ever see a return on my investment.

I've seen many interesting projects come and go asking for Kickstarter money but I have decided to just keep an eye on them and pay normal price IF they ever release.  Maybe if things work out with my currently funded projects I’ll come back to Kickstarter but not until something positive happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment